[TenTec] CW Key Clicks and Filters

AC5E@aol.com AC5E@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:10:19 EST

Yes, the RST system does use the c for chirp and k  for key clicks. And I do
use those when the occasion warrents.

But the system does not provide for what to me is the most annoying keying
artifact of them all. Phase noise. When the bands are quiet it's not at all
unusual to hear this junk 50 kc, kHz, away from a carrier.

I often track down a station calling CQ "tuning by S meter" following the
pish pa pish pa  pish pish pa pish and so forth until I find the carrier. And
it's not at all unusual to listen to the ensuing QSO and find the offending
station is using one of a handful of popular high dollar rigs. Thank goodness
TenTecs are quiet!

Because when the bands are busy this racket runs together to become "radio
smog." And all the weak ones we all want to work are under that junk.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E