[TenTec] Re: Keep it on the Listserve

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

While debating of the merits of having a splinter list
or not for the 516/Argonaugt V is valid, a global
condemnation of Yahoo (and many of its peers) is not.
After all the amount of spam that makes onto a list is
largely a function of how proactive the moderator is
with managing the list on a day to day basis and
little else.

The RX320 group on Yahoo seems to be doing reasonably
well as its own entity and does stay pretty focussed
to the RX320. The Yahoo RX350 list however doesn't
seem to have reached any kind of critical mass, ditto
for the Orion list over there.

As for Yahoo - despite its reputation for propagating
spam/viruses it can also be a powerful tool to fight
them, if properly applied. I use my Yahoo email
address for the various ham radio discussion boards,
primarily as an additional abstraction layer between
my PC and the wild and wooly world of the Internet. I
never use my ISP email address for anything that may
possibly find its way onto a spammers email list, that
is what this Yahoo email address I have is for, as
well as a couple of others I also have. I then use the
spam filtering provided by Yahoo (and the others), net
result is that very few ever make it to my inbox. In
addition all of the mass emailer virus/worms thus far
have been safely dealt with at arms length while still
on Yahoo's server, they are usually easy to spot if
they do ever appear in my Yahoo inbox, needless to say
they get deleted without ever being opened. And this
can all be done without my PC's antivirus/firewall
having to do anything.

About those pesky pop-up ads? A handy dandy
popup-ad/cookie filter does a nice job of stopping
most them in their tracks too.

Duane
N9DG

Chris KB3A Wrote:

I for one would like to hear about the new Argonaut,
however from past
experiences, I won't partake in any listserve on
Yahoo. Let's keep Ten Tec
stuff here where you don't need a special handshake or
a membership or the
like. This list is well served and maintained. It has
good insightful
feedback and I don't have to be HTMLed to death. This
is only my opinion,
if others wish to stray so be it.