[TenTec] Re: Argonaut Review

Ken & Linda Burrough w8keb@1st.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:43:26 -0400

Good Morning All

Mike please check the archives I have posted at least twice since my
Argonaut V arrived this past Monday.  This posting was planned for today so
here it is.

I have now made about 20 contacts with the Argonaut V since the 21st and all
have been CW except for two on SSB.  As I stated before, UPS delivered the
Argo with out a mark on the shipping box or rig.  It is a very good CW rig
and works great on SSB.  The Filters work better in the Argo then in my
Pegasus, seems to be less blow-by.  The Non-Adjustable AGC works very well,
well enough so that I do not miss the adjustment as on my Pegasus or my Omni
VI Plus (I sold it awhile back).  Comparing the AGC to my very OLD Omni C
has no words, the old C's AGC is just not good.  However, comparing it to
the Triton Four Digital, which had a good working AGC, they are the same.

I do not miss an adjustable RF Gain, I never or at least not very often used
the adjustable RF Gain on any rig.

I have listened to DX on all bands from 10 meters down to 40 meters. On 80
and 160 meters I have listened to state side with very good results.  The
receiver is good, not noisy and I am sure if I can hear them, I can work
them.  I use the smaller filters (500 down to 200 Hz) when listening to the
DX stations.  My normal noise level is S-5 to S-7 here at night so I feel
the receiver is working better then some of the high bucks I have owned in
the past.

Now for the Argonaut V, it is the TCXO with the fan kit.  Very stable and
stays on frequency from start to shut down.  The Fan Kit should not be
needed for normal QRP CW work, how ever I did notice that the cabinet stays
cooler with the fan then with out.  I have since removed the fan and will
reinstall it if and when I use it on PSK-31.

The Fit and Finish of the Cabinet is First Class, all the Knob's and buttons
are smooth and give the feel of a First Class Rig.  All the controls mesh
together in a smooth way not like some rigs I have had in the past that felt
like the controls were not on the same front panel.

Would I recommend the Argonaut V to someone else, you bet.  It is a first
class rig and will be in The Buzzard Roost station line up for years to
come.  I sure hope this helps some to at least try the Argonaut V, don't
forget it comes with a 30 day no question asked return policy and is MADE IN
THE USA.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio
USAF Retired.