[TenTec] Re: Jupiter firmware problems...NOT! (SO!... )

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:42:58 -0700 (PDT)

Very well stated.

Also consider that there are two different levels of
code writing involved here. One is control software
and the other is the low-level DSP code. The control
code for the computer control applications is being
handled pretty well by the efforts of Carl, Mike and
others. Ideally though there should be even more, not
because any of these efforts are necessarily lacking
in any way, but simply in the interest of having still
more choices; plus it would be great to have some
additional application/task specific control software
as well.

As for the DSP code level there would be an even
better case for either a support fee based firmware
upgrade approach or perhaps some kind of carefully
managed third party development effort. As it is today
there is significant untapped potential for additional
modes/features/behaviors in all of the existing
ADSP2181/FLASH ROM based TT radios. Unfortunately
there is little or no reason for TT to aggressively
pursue this from a financial perspective.

Just think how much better TT’s support reputation
would be if they were to take full advantage of what
this existing programmability has to offer. If you
think the upgrades to date actually represent all the
potential of firmware/software upgrades to these
radios you’ve missed the point. And if you consider
the upcoming Orion with its superior analog RF
components/design coupled with better A to D’s and its
higher horsepower DSP’s; the potential is now a whole
order of magnitude greater yet.

Duane
N9DG