[TenTec] Q: Iambic Keys

Tom A althofft at concentric.net
Mon Apr 14 20:41:01 EDT 2003

I've used the Bencher/MFJ and like the feel but I'm so fat-fisted that when
I was moving things around on the desk that I would inevitably hit the
paddles which are held in place by springs and "BOING!" they would fly out
of position.

I finally settled on my favorite Iambic Paddle - The Brown Brother's with
the red paddles.   There is room at the back of the base where I mounted an
MFJ keyer on its side using double sided foam tape.  I then replaced the
keyer volume control with a replacement shaft encoder from Ten-Tec and a
spinner knob off of an old VTR shuttle controller.  I can tune my Omni-V.9+
around using my thumb and send cw without moving my right hand more than 3
inches while I write with my left.  Nice feel and when I bump into it all I
get is a dit or dah but no "boing".

Tom K2TA
tom at k2ta.com