[TenTec] Enhanced SSB

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Sat Apr 19 17:28:25 EDT 2003

Hi, Paul

Thanks for the informative response. Although my receiver and audio system
will go down to 30 Hz or so, I have not been able to notice any beneficial
effect or advantage from those stations with extended low-end response.

I can see how the 100-300 Hz range could balance off the high end,
especially if it went much above 3000 Hz.

Paul, I do not have any agenda in this affair - my question was stated as
objectively as possible.  So far, I have gotten a couple of "cute" responses
but yours is the first to have any meat in it.

It seems to have been shown that maximum articulation is obtained with the
300-3000 Hz passband, aided by Bob Heil's peak around 2000 Hz, although a
wider bandwidth can sound much more pleasant under favorable conditions. I
believe that there are even some (non-FCC) regulations to that effect.

Hence, my curiosity as to why there is this emphasis on the low end with
many of the lads on 14178. Some of them have beautiful professional voices
with extreme low-end content, so it is flattering to them. But, by the same
token, when signals are weak or in QRM, readability becomes dicey due to the
boomy low end.

Again, no intent to come down on one side or the other of this controversy -
just seeking a few facts. I appreciate your taking a moment to answer my
question.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr at att.net>