[TenTec] Enhanced SSB and listening fatigue

Adam Farson farson at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 20 01:08:34 EDT 2003

George, Paul,

ITU-R Recommendation M.1173 (technical characteristics of HF-SSB
transmitters for the maritime mobile service) is revealing on this point:

3 The transmitter audio-frequency band shall be 350 Hz to 2 700 Hz with a
permitted amplitude variation of 6 dB.

One can visualise a "Sparks" spending an 8-hour shift in a ship's wireless
office, monitoring SSB traffic on his headphones. It is probably true to say
that listening fatigue in this situation has never become an issue of
sufficient magnitude to prompt any amendment to M.1173.

Best 73,
Adam, VA7OJ/AB4OJ
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://www.qsl.net/ab4oj/