[TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding

Joel Mele jmele at always-online.com
Wed Dec 10 09:19:10 EST 2003

Hi Folks:

The concept of ground loops with respect to grounding via the electrical service ground and station ground are usually correct.   HOWEVER, if the station ground is connected to the house/station electrical service at the breaker panel, there will be no potential difference between grounds and therefore no ground loop.

This configuration will provide a good RF and safety ground along with lightning protection.

NOTE:  A single ground rod connected by a piece of #12 wire DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A GOOD GROUND SYSTEM

The ARRL does not adequately address station grounding and lightning protection.

I own and operate commercial communication towers.   They are struck by lightning regularly and the communication systems located on the towers continue to operate.

I will be happy to answer any grounding questions the group may have.

TNX
Joel W4SLH