[TenTec] Re: K2 beats Orion

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Sat Dec 13 16:21:58 EST 2003

Well, of course, what matters in the final analysis is how a radio works
for you in your shack but mostly its not practical to find that out
until you've made the investment.  All of this discussion is great in my
view and helps inform opinion prior to that investment.  As has been
pointed out already, IP2 performance matters little if at all for some
and matters greatly for others, dependent upon location.

I have concerns that the ARRL test shows IP2 performance 10db worse than
that quoted by TT in the Orion spec.  I am pretty sure TT will be
concerned about that too and will be investigating the disparity.  I
look forward to seeing what they have to say about this.  I am also
concerned that the Orion BDR is degraded 3-5db when the 500Hz B/W, 9 Mhz
filter is selected compared to that achieved when the 1kHz B/W, 9MHz
unit is in circuit.  Is so much degradation a necessary  by product of
the additional gain required to offset  the 500 Hz filter loss?  On the
other hand, I guess it would logically be necessary to measure BDR at a
spacing  >500Hz and <1kHz with the 500Hz filter in circuit to see
benefit rather than disadvantage here. No measurement at such a spacing
forms part of the ARRL test suite currently.

There is no question that the K2 is a great radio.  I have two of them,
S/N 997 and more recently S/N 3483.  I have no plans to part company
with either BUT I have an Orion on order which I hope will be dispatched
in the next few days.  I didn't order the Orion because I wanted another
K2, I ordered it because I want an Orion!  In particular:

The shack sized packaging.  The K2 is unparalleled as a DXpedition rig
and for /P and /M  work of any kind IMO but I'm more comfortable with a
full size box in the shack.
The second receiver, which I find improves my dx-ing enjoyment considerably.
The flexibilty of the filtering scheme.
The flexibility of the digital AGC scheme.
The ability to tailor the CW waveform.
The quality of the Orion QSK implementation (I hope)

Among other aspects of the hobby I also enjoy contesting.  My contest
set-up currently comprises two FT1kMPs.  It has given pretty good
account of itself but isn't as good as I would like in a few ways.

Receiver performance in strong signal environments is limited by
design.  (High first IF with broad roofing)
Monitoring in QSK operation is rather raw sounding and not really
comfortable to listen to.
The transmitted CW envelope cannot be tailored without dismatling the rig.
The DSP implementation is at audio frequencies and IMO, is very poor.

I am looking to the Orion to solve these issues for me and if it is
successful in doing so without creating intolerable new problems, I will
no doubt buy a second Orion and the two will become my SO2R contest
set-up thereafter, at least until something better comes along.

Long may discussion continue.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F