[TenTec] Re: ORION RF FAULT ISSUES? TT PLEASE READ!

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Mon Dec 15 10:36:14 EST 2003

With obvious worry,  it was written:

> OK, I would like some immediate input from Ten-Tec on this!
> I have an ORION here , close to the 30 day evaluation timeout."

> I don't have a Linear yet, but planning on getting a Centurion
> soon. So I will be running power soon.

My input on this:

I have had my Orion since the middle of last May.  Used
with a linear DAILY,  including the 10 meter CW contest
just passed where 1500 watts out were run to my little
C3 beam for hours.  Beam is only about 40 feet above and
away from the "shack" in as straight a line as RF can fly,  hi.

No RF problems,  time outs,  drop outs,  etc., etc. ever
in all this time!!  Not sure what others seem to be experiencing,
but there are NO such problems here.  Linear by the way
is a brute of a Henry amp,  only weighs 400 pounds;  I believe,
has a 3CX3000A7 in it,  and absolutely loafs along and very
cool hour after hour at 1500 out.

BTW,  I do not use the SWEEP display of the Orion;  it does
not seem to be useful to me so do not bother to burden the
processor with that task.  Same goes for Carl's N4PY software
sweep display,  again not of much use to me.  Maybe the sweep
is the source of some of the difficulties others have had,
actually have no idea.

But I have had no kind of difficutly running full legal power out
teamed with the Orion......a very nice radio!! And, I have no ferrite
beads anywhere on my set up,  either.

73,  Jim  KH7M