[TenTec] E-HAM Reviews

Rick Westerman Rick at dj0ip.de
Tue Dec 16 23:02:27 EST 2003

Bill

For the sake of the non-contesters, I would like to qualify your
post (below) which I fundamentally agree with.

For Single Operators, Bill is fully correct.

For multiple operator contest stations running multiple bands
simultaneously, you can't just judge the rigs by the contest
results.  There simply are far to many other parameters involved.

The current ALL TIME WORLD RECORD for CQ WWDX Contest is held by
the Bavarian Contest Club (BCC) which I am proud to be a member
of.  We hold both the CW and SSB records.  ALL transceivers used
for this were Kenwood TS-850's (which is a 1-generation-old
"mid-range" Kenwood transceiver).

The TS-850 was chosen because at the time (about 5 years ago) it
was very good, yet considerably cheaper than the high-end rigs
from Yasue, Kenwood, Icom, etc.  The idea is, if you want to
bring 30 or 40 operators together to do a team effort, they
should all be using a rig that they are familiar with.  Nobody
needs to be "Learning on the Job".  The high-end rigs, though
better, were simply not affordable for many of our guys (many of
whom were students).

The TS-850, though quite good, is certainly not in the league
with the ORION, FT-1000, TS-950 SDX, etc.

But, just like in sports, a good team where all members play well
together beats another team that happens to have a few individual
superstars!

The whole point of this email is to point out that you cannot and
should not only use contest results to choose a rig.

Many of the team members of the BCC team that set the record have
much better rigs than the TS-850. Indeed, several now own ORIONS.
However they agreed up front that a compromise was necessary to
improve the team's synergy.  The results speak for themselves.

Sorry Bill, I don't mean to contradict you but rather to pinpoint
where the readers here should use your suggestion and where they
should not.

Bottom Line: Bill is right for single operator contest stations
but not necessarily right for team contesting.

73
Rick