[TenTec] First dit shortening

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 09:44:39 EST 2003

Hi Don,

I was not referring to a specific rig. Although my comment was sort of a
response to some of the other discussion about the Orion. I have a
Ten-Tec Omni VI. I have never looked at it's keying envelope with an
o'scope. So I hope it is really good. From the perspective of the
operator of this radio the QSK is fantastic. I hope that this is not at
the expense of funny sounding keying to the other operators I QSO with.
I have never heard any such comment about the Omni VI, so I'm not concerned.

I have seen first dit shortening in a lot of QST rig reviews. My reason
for posting the comment was to try to gain some more understanding.

Here is my understanding of what has to happen at the beginning of key
down on a rig:

The receiver has to be muted,

The local oscillator has to get changed to the right frequency for
transmit. There may also be a BFO frequency that needs to get changed.
If these oscillators are digitally controlled, then that means a new
divide by N number has to get loaded into the PLL, and then the PLL has
to settle at the new frequency. This process may require differing
amounts of time depending on whether you are operating a large TX/RX
frequency split, or even cross band. It would also be possible to switch
between different oscillators, instead of shifting one oscillator. I
don't think any modern rigs do that though.

The T/R antenna switching has to change. This could be pin diodes or relay.

Then the transmit carrier can be started, perhaps by putting a DC bias
on a balanced modulator, unbalancing it and just letting carrier
through. Somewhere there should be a stage that has a controlled gain,
that can control the shape of the leading edge of the keyed envelope, so
we don't have keyclicks.

Now we are finally transmitting. All of the above steps require a
certain amount of time. If the last step starts before the other steps
are finished you can get chirp in your TX, a blown up receiver front
end, permanent hearing loss, or other undesirable and damaging effects,
depending upon which steps have not been completed.

Now when we let the key up, pretty much all the same things mentioned
above have to revert back to their receive states. Switching everything
back to the receive mode may take a different (less?) amount of time.
 Since there were X milliseconds delay between key down and  beginning
of carrier output, it only makes sense at this point to add an
appropriate Y milliseconds of delay time to make an equal delay of X
milliseconds between key up and end of carrier output. In this way this
dits and dahs transmitted are just as long as the key down times,
however they begin and end  X milliseconds after key down and key up.
 If X is a pretty big portion of the between element time, then the time
you can actually receive between elements could be very small. So it is
good to design the radio so that all the processes that take time and
add up to X are as fast as possible.
 Some designs may fudge a little, shortening  the added Y delay  at key
up, and therefore shortening the actual carrier on time, so that there
is more receive time between dits.

So my question is, if all this has to happen on the first dit and the
second dit and the third dit and on and on, why is the first dit any
different? I am sure I have missed a few subtleties (like how to spell
subtle) that others will comment on.

Thanks,

Ken N6KB