[TenTec] K2/100, Orion review

Rick Westerman Rick at dj0ip.de
Sat Dec 27 20:41:29 EST 2003

Tongola,

All Ten-Tec amps are QSK amps.
Always have been.
Also often had problem with the relays.

Most of the Alpha amps as well as the Acom amps also have
compatible keying circuitry.
Also have the same problem as the Ten-Tec's.

Believe me, nobody loves Ten-Tecs more than I do and I wouldn't
be saying this for any reason other than it's the truth.

All you guys who claim they don't behave like this are simply
"Arm Chair Quarterbacks".
Use them in extremely hard contest conditions for a number of
years and they ALL break.

As for the home-brew keying circuitry, well a great circuit was
published by DL7AV in the German ham magazine, CQ DL back in
1978.
I built it then and have used it since.  Works great.  Keys the
amp's PTT first, then a few milliseconds later, keys the "key"
input to the transceiver.  The delay of the amp's relay is
adjustable.  I usually delay mine to fall back in between words.
That way the amp's relay (be it a Ten-Tec amp or otherwise) lasts
about 20 to 30 times longer before it eventually breaks!

73
Rick