[TenTec] K2/100, Orion review

tongaloa tongaloa at alltel.net
Sat Dec 27 17:38:53 EST 2003

Bob Henderson wrote:

> Sorry I don't understand.  Though I guess if I could understand your
> point, it may well be I would agree with it.
>
> What is it that you can build for which a nice set of composite OZ's
> would be a better analogy?  Would composite SMs or LAs do the job as
> well?  What are we talking about?  Has contesting finally scrambled my
> brain?
>
> Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F
>

> tongaloa wrote:
>
>> Bob-
>>
>> All amps do not handle key sequencing and some of us can build something
>> for which a nice set of composite OZ's would be a better analogy than
>> garden rollers.
>>
>> 73,
>> -Bob
>> ah7i
>>
>> Bob Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> A fascinating idea but on the other hand.....as all cars have wheels
>>> why would you buy one without and then have to improvise through the
>>> attachment a couple of garden rollers?
>>>
>>> Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F

Could be scrambled brains (good with eggs) :-)
Building external sequencer (wheels) for an otherwise good amp makes a
lot more
sense to me than buying a new amp (car). My HA-14, used with Heath HW-16 is
not set up for QSK. Fortunately, this amp leaks enough signal through
the tubes
that I just leave it keyed when operating with the HW-16(old heath full
QSK transceiver).
The TR7 is not really QSK. It's pretty fast though so I leave the Henry
2K keyed and
use a PIN switch. The Henry is getting replaced with a MLA2500, also not
QSK, as soon
as I get the tube mounts finished (2 x gi7b with home made radial anode
coolers to replace
the unobanium 8875's. Actually, it's almost done. Just have to make one
more cut on the anode
coolers and drill the mounting holes for the tube mounts.) I like the
Henry but have no room
for it at the present Honolulu QTH and don't want to pay to move it all
the way from the old
Atlanta QTH. Hopefully I'll get a permit for a small house on some extra
Atlanta land so we
can sell the old house and have some $ for a decent, RF wise, QTH in
Honolulu. The rental
place is tiny and too far up a valley. Have to keep a place in Atlanta
for visits and for the kids
to live in while they attend college for the next 4-5 years. Spouse's
career may bring us back
to Atlanta in 7 years, unless I get something rocking in the Pacific so
she can retire...

-Bob
ah7i