[TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

Paul Christensen, Esq. w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Dec 28 06:42:10 EST 2003

"I don't think TT intentionally made CW PTT mistake. This happens in a big
projects..."

"Enable PTT functionality for CW,
just like all the other manufacturers
have been doing for decades."

Fine.  You and Yuri have now shown us how the CW contest card works and why
there is a need for separate PTT and CW key lines. Congratulations. However,
omitting a PTT line in a JA radio is a mistake, but not on a Ten-Tec.
What you continue to fail to understand is that unlike "other manufacturers
(who) have been doing for decades," the Orion and other Ten-Tec's need no
separate PTT line in order to make the CW contest card interface perfectly.
Here's why:

Many JA radios were not designed for full-time QSK. In fact most, if not all
of them, continue to use a clunky relay for the external amplifier key line.
Every modern Ten-Tec operates in QSK all the time....even in
"semi-break-in." The reality is that only the receive recovery time changes
when switching between the two modes in a Ten-Tec radio. For a more complete
description of how Ten-Tec accomplishes this, see the Omni Six Product
Review in QST.

I just confirmed that the W9XT CW contest card contains two isolated
outputs: 1) a CW key line; and 2) a PTT line. The diagram is available here:

http://www.qth.com/w9xt/ccmanual.pdf
http://www.qth.com/w9xt/Cc_cable.pdf

Back to the Orion: since the Orion is designed for full-time QSK, THE PROPER
PLACE FOR INSERTING THE CONTEST CARD PTT LINE IS ON THE AMP KEY LINE BETWEEN
THE ORION AND THE AMPLIFIER. The card's CW key line connects to the Orion's
key line...just as it would on a JA radio.   On the Orion, there is
absolutely no need to force the radio to force the amplifier into holding
the PTT line when the contest card's isolated PTT output accomplishes the
same function when paralleled across the amp PTT key line. In fact, with the
Orion, the set-up is actually easier and less prone to long-term reliability
problems over a JA configuration than what you and Yuri propose.

The bottom line is: Ten-Tec got it right on this issue. No separate PTT
input is required for use with a contest card. I am looking at this purely
from a logical and unemotional point of view. I don't own an Orion and don't
plan on purchasing one in the eminent future.

You and Yuri have proven your point that a separate PTT is required for
properly operating a CW contest card...only, the proper place for PTT is in
front of the amplifier...not the Orion.

73,

-Paul, W9AC

> > 2) What 5-cent change are you referring to?
>
> It may range from zero cents (firmware change)
> to a resistor/diode/wire or so. Nothing more than that.
>

> > 3) What is the outcome of the 5-cent change?
>
> a) PTT would enable people to use existing non-QSK amplifiers;
> b) PTT would enable using non-QSK amplifiers without
>      delaying reception as caused by Semi-BK-In;
> c) PTT would save relays on QSK amplifiers.
>

> > 4) What is it in your proposal that cannot be remedied either with
Orion's