[TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Sun Dec 28 13:18:54 EST 2003

Paul Christensen, Esq. wrote:

>* *However,
>omitting a PTT line in a JA radio is a mistake, but not on a Ten-Tec.

I'm not sure I understand the unemotional logic that would label this a
mistake if the manufacturer were Japanese but not if it is Ten Tec. :-\

>*
>*Many JA radios were not designed for full-time QSK. In fact most, if not all
>of them, continue to use a clunky relay for the external amplifier key line.
>

>My experience suggests otherwise.  All seven of the Japanese radios I currently own, which represent the efforts of all three mainstream Japanese manufacturers, are capable of full time QSK.  None of these radios rely upon a clunky relay for the external amplifier keying line, though it is true that several of them have incorporated such a device, which can be configured where required to ensure compatibility with older amplifiers using high voltage/ high current switching.  Ten Tec state that users who wish to use such amplifiers with their products will need to add external circuitry compatible with them.

Back to the Orion: since the Orion is designed for full-time QSK, THE PROPER

PLACE FOR INSERTING THE CONTEST CARD PTT LINE IS ON THE AMP KEY LINE BETWEEN

>THE ORION AND THE AMPLIFIER. The card's CW key line connects to the Orion's
>key line...just as it would on a JA radio.   On the Orion, there is
>absolutely no need to force the radio to force the amplifier into holding
>the PTT line when the contest card's isolated PTT output accomplishes the
>same function when paralleled across the amp PTT key line.

As I pointed out earlier, this particular functionality is not something
I need, as my amplifiers are full QSK units with non mechanical
switching.  Perhaps your proposed approach will be workable for Yuri and
others who have identified the problem.  I will leave it to them to comment.

>The bottom line is: Ten-Tec got it right on this issue.

I think who is right, remains rather a moot point, myself.

>I am looking at this purely
>from a logical and unemotional point of view.

If you say so, Paul.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F