[TenTec] Operating SSB in Canada on CW frequencies

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Mon Feb 24 10:36:25 EST 2003

Bill,

That's easy.  The FCC band segments only apply to amateurs under FCC
jurisdiction... which Canada (and the rest of the world) is not.

So why do Canadians operate phone in the US 40 M CW sub-band?

(1)  They're permitted to
(2)  They want to have QSO's away from the crowded US 40 M Phone band --
crowded not just by US & other amateurs, but by QRM from the International
Broadcast Service from EU, AF, OC & AS
(3)  They want to have QSO's with other DX in IARU Regions 1 & 3 that are
only permitted 7000 - 7100 kc -- ie, they're operating phone in the R1 & R3
traditional phone bands.

Oh yes, don't forget that selected FCC licensed stations outside of the
continental US are permitted to operate phone in that part of 40 Meters
also -- including those in US territories in Region 3.

Bottom line:  They may be "traditional" US CW bands, but they're not
exclusively CW, never have been, never will be (upcoming potential 40 M
realignment at an upcoming WRC not withstanding).  It's a shared band, and
we all have to learn to share it, even when it means having a phone QSO in
the "CW" segment.

73, ron wn3vaw

"Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
"Certainly!  You take the blonde, and I'll take the one in the turban!"
-- Young Frankenstein