[TenTec] Re: Extra dots from OMNI-6+

Roy Koeppe royanjoy@ncn.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:11:31 -0600

Asked,

"I recently acquired an Omni 6+.  I enjoy using a bug for operating
around
25wpm.  I have noticed that the rig "throws" in extra dits randomly.
Very frustrating when I know I'm not making them.  The key is well
adjusted and does not do this on other rigs or a cpo.   There is no
problem when using an external or the internal keyer.

Has any one else experienced this phenomonen and/or have any ideas for
the cause and solution?"

First, it's customary to sign your name and call sign to a posting.

Second, you may not like this answer but it's my best guess. During bug
sending from my friends' stations using their OMNI-6+'s, it is not
uncommon to hear a tiny amount of occasional contact bounce, depending
on how they have their bug adjusted for damping, etc.  The reason it may
not be heard from other brands of rigs is because those rigs drastically
truncate the dots to such a degree that the short bounce dots are
completely eliminated from being sent out at all! Ten-Tec does not
provide this clean-up service! OMNI-6+ keyline current is very low, so
it is sensitive to slight bounce closures--perhaps more so than other
rigs or even a cpo.

73,      Roy         K6XK/0