[TenTec] I get nervous when . . .

George, W5YR w5yr@att.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:31:23 -0600

So, how meaningful are the ARRL test results if they come from a
cherry-picked, specially prepared, non-production unit? I agree that
it is in TT's interest to have ARRL test the best performing "sample"
they have, but on the other hand, if that sample does  not represent
what Joe Ham will receive for his $4431.95, les hand mic, then the
whole test is a charade.

On the other hand, many Ten Tec operators will likely base their
buying decision on Ten Tec's published specs, the opinions of other
ORION owners and their own experience during the 30-day trial period.
So, perhaps the importance of the ARRL test results is overstated.

I do not know, but I think that ARRL procedure is to purchase a
production unit in the manner that any ham would and then test the
unit as received. In the case of a factory-direct purchase, would it
be unethical to purchase the test unit in an individual's name to
disguise the true destination of the unit?

Questions, questions . . .

But it is inescapable that many of us are waiting to see how the ORION
fares in the ARRL labs as compared to the Ten Tec specs and goals.
Perhaps publication by Ten Tec of the test procedures and data
provided by Ten Tec to the FCC for approval would help to satisfy a
lot of curiosity about the performance of the ORION.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
K2 #489  IC-765 #2349 IC-756 PRO  #2121 IC-756 PRO2 #3235