[TenTec] Microphones

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Wed Jan 22 20:58:48 EST 2003

Mark:

Heil mikes......., the basic difference is in overall frequency response, at
what frequency and the amount of the peak in audio response occurs, where
the roll-off, both on the high end and low end, occurs and the off axis
frequency response.   You'll need to go to the spec sheets for each model to
do a fair evaluation.

I understand that Heil has created a special mike for TenTec and for the
Orion.  So be it.  I'll figure that one out if and when I get my hands on
it.

As to mikes in general, there's no one "right mike" or "best mike" on a
abroad spectrum.  My experience comes from some 15 years as a professional
recording engineer for one of the major record labels.  While I admit, this
is / was in a very controlled acoustic environment.  Yet I do not profess to
be an expert.  Each and every mike has a purpose and application depending
on what the user expects as the end result.  Take this for fact, "no two
mikes sound absolutely alike".  (Matched pairs for stereo recording will set
one back $3 or $4 grand each or more.)  I've had artists that I've used 3 or
4 mikes of the same brand, type and model and they sound different.  I keep
trying until I find one that suits the needs.  To that end, I say take the
opportunity to try several different mikes with YOUR radio and YOUR voice.
Emphasis on YOUR.  Once you find one that gets you the reports you like then
"it's a good one".

Personally, I find that the Tentec 705 desk mike works best for most folks
and works on all Tentec radios of current design.  It's hard to beat this
one.  To that end, I have replaced the foam wind screen with one designed
for a Sony EMC-44.  That makes the mike sound different than with the
supplied foam sock that comes with it from TenTec.  At the same time, I have
an expensive professional studio grade mike that sounds like crap on the
TenTec Omni VI+ and the Paragon but sounds wonderful on the AM rig that I
run on 160M an 75M.  Oh, yes, I do take into account mike impedance, input
load, mike output level and etc. in both cases.

As to correct mike position, talk straight into the mike.  Yes, I know some
have said talk across the mike.  OK there is a reason for this.  Some mikes
are sensitive to breath pops an mouth noises.  So talking across the mike is
a good compromise and typically does not get into proximity effects caused
by "close talking" a mike.  Dynamic mikes are especially noted for low end
build up, proximity effect, when used close to the mouth.  Correctly
however, a mike with a proper and effective wind screen will eliminate these
artifacts of breath pops and mouth noises.  Also, the frequency response
changes from on axis to off axis on a mike.  Perhaps talking across the mike
gets into an area where frequency response changes and produces a more
desirable effect.  This is creative but to the unknowledgeable user may be
disastrous from a point of performance.

Distance from the mike is another factor.  As stated before, close talking a
dynamic will show increased low frequency output.  Used too far away from
the sound source and the room acoustics can be heard as well as mike output
level drops requiring increased gain in the audio chain somewhere.  Again,
depending on how loud you speak, mike sensitivity, mike response, room
noise, room acoustics and etc should determine how close one talks to the
mike.  Typically 1" to 2" is a good rule to follow.

Confusing...........not really.   Try a good mike and properly used it will
typically sound good.  Try a poor mike and it will always sound crappy.  A
mike with a bump in midrange will sound bright but may have a lot of "s"
response and sound thin.  A mike with a good low end, may sound muffled but
exhibit lots of breath pops.

73
Bob, K4TAX

.