[TenTec] Argonaut V - I did purchase

KS7J shack at tomochka.com
Sat Jul 19 18:20:19 EDT 2003

Jeff,

You're making a partially unfair comparison. You are including the PA and
ATU in the cost of the K2, neither of which the Argo V has. And don't just
add on an LDG auto-tuner, the K2 ATU is superior and integrated. I've used
both.

Anyway, a K2 with SSB, 160M, NB, AF, ATU (w/dual ant) is $996, IN KIT FORM.
You are absolutely right, someone has to build these. There are builders who
do it for free or next to nothing, however. Building them is not difficult
(and enjoyable for many of us) and all test equipment (save a DMM) is built
into the rig. You have a rig you can fix in the rare event it fails, and
tons of online support. Last I checked TT doesn't have that kind of support,
you have to ship the thing back to the factory and usually you have to pay
someone to fix it at considerably more than minimum wage.

Add DSP for $259, but IMHO, it's overkill once you have the xtal filters and
AF. For another 89 bux you have RS-232 control. We're still pretty far from
$2000 (more like $1300).

Let's see, ARGO V: $850 + $180 for ATU that is not integrated and handles 1
ANT = $1030. Yep, it's cheaper <grin>. How do you upgrade it to 100W? The K2
can be configured with the PA built-in or outboard in a K-Twins
configuration (then you can unplug the K2 and still have the 20W built-in
ATU).

The K2 route is not for everyone and I was interested in others' opinions,
but I think you went a little over the top Jeff. Obviously a K2 is not for
you.

73,

Casey, KS7J