[TenTec] dbm and VU units of audio measurement

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Wed Jul 30 15:14:50 EDT 2003

At 12:32 PM 7/30/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Lots of confusion abt how the dB standard has been applied and used over the
>years. My HP-606A SG uses the DBM range referencing 0db=10 dB below 1V (.3V)
>into a 50 Ohm load. This has been a standard for some years, but impedance
>can throw a curve.

Some generator dB Megawatt
I remember someone asking me what mmfd was. He had a very old schematic
diagram.
I said "it is milli-milli-femto-deci and when it gets that small the units
really don't matter".
Then I told him that it was an old notation for pF.
All the computer ads have  millihertz CPUs (mhz)

Sorry, just could not resist.

I get prescriptions from the drug store that have so many MG dosage printed
on the label.
You would think they would know the difference.

OOPS now I am on a roll.

You know that there were no DB9 connectors until the Computer
community started calling DE9 connectors DB9. Then distributors had to
change the name in
their catalogs to accommodate the computer guys and ultimately the
manufacturers had to do the same.

73
Bill wa4lav