[TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Wed Jun 4 10:35:25 EDT 2003

Oh,  what the heck.  With a $3900 Ten Tec rcvr (340)
and about $3600 in my Orion,  whats another $350 for
frequency accuracy?  Have called the supplier and placed
an order for the hp standard,  the antenna,  and power
supply.

Sitting here now watching the accuracy of the Orion sub
rcvr,  using the method George,  W5YR described earlier
today.  At turn on,  the indicated inacuraccy was about
-17 Hz,  as the rig warmed, it drifted upwards reaching to
about + 20 Hz.  Now after about 90 minutes,  the reading
is 1027.0,  or 27 Hz high.  Am going to let this run on
for a few hours.  Appears I will learn about adjusting the
oscillator later,  hi.

However,  the N4PY software seems to have a calibrate
capability.  Will have to look into that in more detail as
I have independent PY software for the 340 alone,  as
well as his Orion/340 software.  Both have calibrate,
and the O/340 system allows for 2nd rcvr freq. calibrate.
Would like to have both rigs track exactly,  and be exactly
"on" frequency!  Why?  Because it seems it is possible.

73,  Jim  KH7M