[TenTec] Centaur amp

Carl Moreschi n4py at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 16 00:40:21 EDT 2003

Bill,

All centaurs have loud fans.  When I had mine, I did 3 things to help.  I
added a 100 ohm 20 watt resistor in series with the fan.  This slowed it to
half speed and made it much quieter.  I was worried about the 811's getting
too hot, so I replaced them with 572B's.  These tubes have a much higher
plate dissipation and so can take the heat better.  Then, I cut a hole in
the left side of the cabinet where the slots are to let the air come into
the amp easier.  This improved the airflow and also made it very quiet.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC