[TenTec] Delta II Cooling Fan

KE4TEG ke4teg at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 3 09:44:09 EST 2003

Mitch and Jeff,

I tend to agree with the HVAC companies and Jeff especially for a commercial
application. But with HVAC, the fan units have the fan mounted in the top of
the unit with the heat source on all four sides as in a residential heatpump
or in a cowling built above the heat source with the fan mounted in it.
These are large commercial fan units that do make there own heat and in most
cases are always pulling the air up and out so as again not to fight the
natural flow of heats tendency to rise. They also only run when the unit is
trying to either heat or cool something. They do not care about excess heat
once a given temperature is reached. A heatsink is still trying to dissipate
heat after you have unkeyed.

What you have is a heatsink with no chamber formed from the condenser fins
and no cowling to mount the muffin fan in to hold it up off the heatsink.
This is why I do not care for top mounting the muffin fan. It impedes
natural heat flow and only helps when it is running. If the muffin fan dies,
it will only make your heat problem worse if top mounted. Also with a bottom
mounted fan pushing air through the heatsink, the fan is out of the way for
short QSOs that the fan does not need to be on for and causes little affect
to natural heatsink cooling. Do not get me wrong, even mounting a small
muffin fan on the bottom does effect the heatsinks normal performance, but
not as much as top mounting it.

This is also why most fan kits that one can buy for radio equipment have two
muffin fans built into a cowling that mounts onto the heatsink covering the
minimum heatsink area to get it mounted. Most of these units mount to the
back of the heatsink and blow air sideways into the heatsink with air
spilling out the top and bottom of the heatsink. This is done for two
reasons, one it keeps the amp or radio pack size the same as the original
unit other then depth. If measurements must stay as close to the original as
possible for an application, depth is usually the one that can be cheated
on. Two, it keeps the fan unit out of the way and gives it some protection
by the unit it is mounted to. Its not the most inexpensive way to do it or
the most efficient, but when adding 2 additional fans with a cowling to
force air over the heatsink one has increased the efficiency of the heatsink
so greatly it does not matter about the rest.

I guess all in all its a toss-up. It comes down to what works best for you
and what is easiest for the unit the muffin fan is going on and where one
has the equipment located. As long as the fan is always on when the amp is
on, the heatsink will always be more efficient with a fan mounted somewhere
then with no fan at all.
73, Keith
de KE4TEG