QRE: [TenTec] Group replies vs. personal e-mail

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Wed Mar 5 20:13:38 EST 2003

Mainly, Mike, because every step that you described is done automatically by
the computer on most lists when you select the REPLY TO button for a private
response.

Sure, the process is "simple" but it causes every person who desires to make
a private posting to go through the hoops you describe, whereas the email
client as already written makes the choice simple and automatic: hit REPLY
TO for a private response; hit REPLY TO ALL to post to the list.

I know of only two or three lists that function in this manner and they do
so only as a result of the desire and intention of the list owner that
everything that gets posted goes to the entire list insofar as possible.

Incidentally, my Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express do not show the sender's
email address on all mail. On your email for example, your address is never
shown either in the Preview Pane or when the message is opened for
response.That makes the manual process even more tedious. On the other hand,
letting the program logic do its thing as the buttons are labeled, REPLY TO
will dig out the address from all the header info and use it even though it
is never displayed on the message as read. IF you can help me find out how
to get the sender's email address exposed, I would appreciate it.

Sure, it is a trivial matter - been too much bandwidth wasted already - but
different clients and different folks operate differently, as do different
lists and list owners, and somehow it all has to work together, which most
of the time it does.   <:}

But this note, which I would prefer to be entirely private, is going to the
entire list because I do not know your email address and am not inclined to
dig it up from QRZ.COM or wherever. One gentleman pointed out that this
problem could be alleviated to a large extent - barring a change on the part
of the list owner - if every subscriber would simply include his email
address in his sig file - good idea. I'm starting with this posting.

Hope to meet you at Summerfest this year!

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
w5yr at att.net