[TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Wed Mar 5 19:31:30 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have been following the discussion of what transceiver a new ham might
want to purchase. Someone else has already pointed out the economic
advantage of buying used vs. new radios. I agree with that and would
like to add my two cents: My recommendation is a mid range (not top of
the line) JA rig from the 80's or 90's. Something all solid state, with
general coverage receive, and a built in antenna tuner. The mid range
rigs are usually smaller and therfore suitable for portable or mobile
operation. Most of them have enough of features that you can learn the
basics about how things work. Then after using that rig for a while you
will be more qualified to make your own personal choice about buying a
more expensive, top of the line rig. Then the first rig becomes your
backup/ emergency / portable/ mobile rig...As I write this I am thinking
about my Kenwood TS-440SAT. Icom and Yaesu also made rigs that would do
the job. I am not well enough versed in the particular models to name
one. Also some of the more recent mid-range Kenwoods would be good. I
see radios in this class for sale, used in good to excellent condition
for around $400 regularly. I would recommend against any of the
detachable front mini-mobile rigs because too many of the essential
functions require  multiple keystoke sequences to control. To learn the
basics it is better to have the controls easy to play with.

Have fun, Ken N6KB