[TenTec] AGC thump

Clark Savage Turner csturner at slonet.org
Wed Mar 12 08:04:47 EST 2003

Hi Paul -

Oh, heck, if it doesn't bother you why worry?  (Remember MAD magazine
and Alfred E. Neuman with his "What, Me Worry?"   My dad always thought
I was a little like Alfred!)  I tried out a "mod" to the AGC on an
Argosy II and it killed the QSK sharpness.  I didn't like it, the AGC
went "soft" on me.

The "thump" is when you are listening to a quiet band, then suddenly a
big signal (over S9) comes up and the receiver gives a "pop" at that
instant.  Not a big deal, doesn't bother me much either.  When you take
down the RF gain it will disappear (takes the signal to the bottom of
the AGC range) so that will "solve" it anyway.

I notice a bit of a thump on transmit also, but it is not a big deal to
my ears, just a minor result of that wonderful QSK of a Ten Tec.  I
believe the engineering tradeoffs of very fine QSK (biggest priority:
allowing me to hear the band in between my transmissions)  don't quite
involve perfection, but give me just what I need ... and better than
other kinds of transceivers.

Clark
WA3JPG