[TenTec] AGC thump

WA3FIY wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Wed Mar 12 17:00:43 EST 2003

I have been doing some work on this matter for a while and
have identified two different issues.   Thump and Pop.

As you say Paul, the thump occurs on keying.   As I recall, it
occurs upon opening the key.   I believe it is the result of a
small DC offset that occurs in the muting circuit when the rig
is keyed.   When it is un-keyed, the DC offset gets passed to
the audio PA stage and is heard as a thump.   Since it is
between the volume control and the amp, it is independent of
volume and RF gain settings.   If you use a speaker or
headphones with good low frequency response, the thump will
be worse.   This is place where "Hi-Fi" is not so great!     :-)

The Pop is a function of AGC action on receive and occurs when
a strong signal follows a weak signal or after the AGC hang
timer has reset.  My tests indicate it is the result of the AGC
control voltage being delayed while the AGC capacitor is being
charged.   Briefly, the AGC  circuit is comprised of a full wave
rectifier in the audio chain following the notch filter.  BTW,
the notch filter is the only filter inside the AGC loop.   Anyway,
the full wave rectifier is followed by a 3.3K resistor feeding a
1uf AGC capacitor.   That in turn feeds an IC and transistor
buffer which drives the AGC PIN diodes.

Assuming the AGC is reset, when a new signal comes along, the
AGC capacitor begins to charge.   BUT, it takes a certain
amount of time for the capacitor to charge, that time being a
function of the R/C time constant and amount of driving signal.
In the mean time, the IF amplifier is running at full or nearly
full gain, driving the 'phones off your head until the AGC
capacitor becomes charged!    :-)

In a sense, this R/C circuit resembles an integrator, step
voltage in [rectified incoming signal] and ramp voltage out [AGC
control voltage].    Reducing the time constant does reduce the
pop to a certain extent but it also produces some undesirable
side effects which ruin the other wise very nice AGC in the
Corsair.   I won't go into all of them but one especially
troubling one is that the AGC will capture and hold very short
noise bursts, causing the desired signal to diminish or
sometimes disappear until the hang timer resets.

I decided to try a complimentary circuit, the differentiator.
Without going into too much boring detail, what I have is a
differentiator that acts in parallel with the circuit described
above.   It works like this.   Assuming the AGC is reset and a
signal comes along, the differentiator IMMEDIATELY applies
AGC control voltage to the PIN diodes reducing the gain and
virtually eliminating the pop...   In the mean time, the AGC
capacitor is being charged.   When it reaches the appropriate
charge for the incoming signal, the regular Corsair AGC circuit
takes control and the differentiator resets........ready for
action the next time needed.     This takes place during the
first few milliseconds to a few tens of milliseconds of incoming
signal.   The balance of the time the standard Corsair AGC
circuit is in control.

I find it to be very smooth and pleasant.   An interesting side
effect is that subjectively speaking, I think the radio is less
susceptible to noise and other very short duration spikes.   The
QSK action is not effected in any way.

If this sounds a little bit like a commercial, I guess maybe it is.
I am planning to offer the "mod" as a kit from Radio
Adventures if there is any interest.    The mod involves tack
soldering three wires to points on the component side of the
IF/Audio board, and mounting a small circuit board using an
existing hole.   This makes a quick, easy and fully reversible
modification.    I have tested this on two different Corsair II's
with similar results.   However, I would really like to find two
or three people who would be willing to try it out.   Anyone
interested can email me direct at:    lee at radioadv.com

73 de Lee, WA3FIY