[TenTec] Orion MARS Coverage, plus one possible bug

nq5t at attbi.com nq5t at attbi.com
Fri Mar 28 10:59:09 EST 2003

Talked to the factory about MARS coverage this morning.  Appears
to have been an oversight in the firmware.

Doug said he would post a flash update later today providing 10Khz
additional coverage at the edges of ham bands, which was the
original specification.  Not all MARS frequencies are that close, of
course, but that provides enough for some net coverage.  25Khz or
50 Khz would be better -- and that could, maybe, might be in the
offing for a future update.

Also found what appears to be a minor buggie:

The VOX sensitivity adjustment doesn't appear to survive the
turning of VOX on and off.  I've found that every time I turn on VOX,
I need to go into the VOX menu and tweak the sensitivity so that
breathing or paper shuffling, etc. won't 't trigger the VOX.  Even if
all I do is rotate the MULTI control and set the sensitivity value back
where it was. The menu shows the last value saved, but it doesn't
seem that the saved value is persistent as far as actual VOX
operation is concerned.

Overall?  Great radio ...!

Grant/NQ5T