[TenTec] Orion/AL-1200 QSK -- Hard lesson #1

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 29 15:56:18 EST 2003

>Well, at least with the AL-1200.  If the amp is off, the Enable line
>back to the Orion doesn't signal back to the Orion that it is safe to
>apply RF.  Seems reasonable to me.  I might put a relay on the
>enable-out line from the amp so that if the amp is off it is always
>"enabled".  I see it as an amp problem, rather than an Orion
>problem.

Grant,

Thanks for the information!

Mnnn ... Are/did you using a diode in the keying line at present?
Or is the "Y" solid wiring? Wonder if the diode might be in the wrong
portion of the "Y" ? <as in should the diode be in the bottom part
of the "Y", and not in either side of the upper sections>. That would
seem to tell the Orion that the TX OUT/EN is CLOSED? Mnnn ...

Jim Reid ... didn't you tinker with this also there with your VI+ setup?

I also just read W9AC's post ... and can see what is going on now,
the Orion "thinks" it's TX OUT/EN is OPEN, so it won't xmit ... that's
why you have to go into MENU and tell it there's "no amp' there. So
depending on WHERE the diode is located in the "Y" might indeed
be the cause of this?

Have you tried Paul's idea ... just to see if it will keep up with the
QSK keying properly? <the idea of using the other keying point?>

<hee ... you guys not used to MENUs are going to "learn new skills">

>Just means the operator has to use brain before engaging PTT :-)

Not something I can depend on a guest op remembering to do here,
at 2 am. Right now they can't blow up the present setup.

Let's hope the firmware or a different wiring arrangement can offer a
better solution ... this is supposed to be THE TOP RIG to have, and
there's got to be a better route to take than adding an external relay.

Otherwise it's less flexible that what is on the desk and working presently.

73 Billy AA4NU