[TenTec] Orion/AL-1200 QSK -- Hard lesson #1

Paul Christensen, Esq. w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Mar 29 16:15:23 EST 2003

This is worth repeating...Ten-Tec's TX OUT/TX EN should only be used with
amps that support such a key loop structure.  Grant found out the hard way.

Unless one is using an amp which uses a send and return for the key loop
(e.g., Ten-Tec, ACOM), then it's best to use Ten-Tec's "Ext. T/R,"
especially with the newer Ten tecs since this provides for a fast, silent
QSK switch line to the amp.

It appears that Grant did in fact have a "Hot Switch" situation and the
Ameritron's QSK fuse lamps blew...which is much better than the PIN diodes.
I was asking last night if the AL-1200 is truly hot-switch protected.  It
appear to be in that it will blow the PIN fuses, but it will not correct for
hot-switching as do most Alpha and ACOM amps.  I hate to say I told 'ya so
but....

The Alpha mod just happens to work with Ten-Tec's and a "Y" adapter because
the Alpha 89 & 87 are smart-switching amps that correct for hot-switching
without the need for PIN protect fuses.

All Grant needed to do was to connect "Ext T/R" from the Orion to the
AL-1200's key line with one cable and no steering diodes or other voodoo
needed.

-Paul, W9AC