[TenTec] Orion/AL-1200 QSK -- Hard lesson #1

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Sat Mar 29 11:52:35 EST 2003

Paul,  W9AC, wrote,  in part:

> This is worth repeating...Ten-Tec's TX OUT/TX EN should only
> be used with amps that support such a key loop structure.
>
> All Grant needed to do was to connect "Ext T/R" from the
> Orion to the AL-1200's key line with one cable and no
> steering diodes or other voodoo needed.

The above is exactly the way I connected the Ameritron
QSK-5 to my OmniVI+;  and that is exactly the way my
coming (when?, probably sometime in May,  2nd lot) Orion
will be connected.

However,  I have been having problems with the open frame
relay in the -5.  A bit of dust or whatever on one of the contacts,
and the rcvr goes deaf,  or nearly so;  signal levels drop way
down until I hit the PTT a couple of times,  or tap the CW key,
then the audio returns to normal for awhile,  then down it
goes again.  Wonder,  in the AL-1200 open frame mechanical
relays also used?  Have noticed that Ameritron has now suggested
simply locking these relays down via a short on the Key 1 jack
(on the Ameritron QSK-5 switch) to ground PERMANENTLY.
With this done,  whenever the switch power is ON,  the linear
amp relays are closed!  So the amp can never HOT switch as
it is always "in line".

The Key 2 jack would still be connected to the Orion/Omni
"Ext T/R" output in this configuration.

I have not yet tried this approach,  but if it might "cure" the
rcv deafness recurring problem,  it  might be worth it,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M