[TenTec] Orion Flash Update -- Cant make it go

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 21:11:23 EST 2003

--- John L Merrill <jmerrill1 at adelphia.net> wrote:
> If the flash update program is the same as the one
> for the Peg and Jup and
> if you run win2000 or XP, you may need to run the
> program in the win98
> compatability mode.

I downloaded the Orion firmware update today and found
that the loader program is the exact same one as used
with the Pegasus/Jupiter/516 (same file date/time &
size). What I found that I had to do with my small
herd of Pegs under Win2K is to power up the Pegasus
after I tell the loader program to update the radio.
For the Orion it may work to do an equivalent process,
I am not familiar with the actual workings of the
panel mode vs. update mode, - so I can't offer a good
suggestion on how to actually achieve the same effect.
I suspect the underlying issue is linked to the way
that the hardware abstraction layer of the NT kernel
based OSes (NT, W2K, and XP) handle RS232 I/O for
16-bit apps. The truly correct fix would be for TT to
rewrite the loader as a 32-bit application.

9600 baud??? - say it isn't so? If it is then that
doesn't bode well for having powerful computer control
functionality with the Orion. 9600 baud is just plain
too slow to do many useful things with.

Duane
N9DG