[TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup

AC5E at aol.com AC5E at aol.com
Wed May 21 15:54:41 EDT 2003

We used an Astron RS35 for several years with a hefty deep cycle marine
battery, a Wal Mart 3A trickle charger,  and a 150 Amp diode at our repeater
sites. The voltage drop is mininal and ASTRONS seem to do well but we have
not had good luck with other brands of supply. Astron also makes some with
built in diodes that also do well. And that also will not charge the battery.

However,  we began using high speed 110V relays to do the switchover. The
power goes off and in a very few milliseconds the power supply is is off line
and the battery is on line. This seems to be a better setup where our
repeater sites or the power lines supplying them take a hit every few days.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E