[TenTec] spam via ARRL..

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Thu May 29 21:24:59 EDT 2003

In all fairness to the ARRL, it should be pointed out that the problem is
that certain spammers figured out that many League members had taken
advantage of the offer to provide "at ARRL dot NET" addresses... and also
"at QSL dot NET" and so on.

It just takes one to download a list of callsigns (or grab them off a CD,
since at least one uses plain text), marry on the common email suffixes
(don't forget Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc.), and start using & selling them.
(How does one figure this out?  Well, when looking at a recent SPAM header
for clues, I saw about two dozen variations of mycall at domainname dot
type, including many that I've never used at any time).  And since most
Spammers fake their own address, they never see all the bounces and all the
traffic headaches those bounces generate...

But, dropping the various aliases is only a temporary solution, sooner or
later they find a way to get you.  And more importantly, it makes you wonder
why WE have to jump through so many hoops to avoid being harrassed by these
slimeballs... but that's another story for another place and time.

73, ron wn3vaw

"I would like to do 3000 more" -- Sportscaster Guy Junker on his 3000th
"Sportsbeat" show.
The next night, after his 3001st show, for reasons left unclear, Fox Sports
Net Pittsburgh declined to renew his contract & fired him.
(Source:  Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Saturday, 17 May 2003)