[TenTec] Re: Orion Frequency Accuracy

Grant Youngman nq5t at attbi.com
Thu May 29 21:19:52 EDT 2003

> When I checked the frequency accuracy of my new Orion, the
> LCD readout when 10 MHz WWV was zero beat was about
> 20 Hz low

I was playing around and noticed also that my dial reading was
about 30 Hz low at 10 Mhz after an all day warm up.  So I decided to
do the adjustment on the TCXO frequency.

Frequency adjustment was pretty simple, but getting those 9 VERY
tight Torx screws out with that litte L-shaped tool provided by T-T
gave me SERIOUS hand cramps.  Fortunately I had a real #10 Torx
driver in the toolbox, and that made things much more pleasant :-)

Since I hadn't ventured into taking the covers off previously
(probably the first time in  my radio life since the age of about 10
that that wasn't the FIRST thing I did) I was amazed at how
uncluttered the underside of the box is, even with the LDG tuner
sitting in its place.  Most other gear I've owned ( mostly brand "I", no
bashing intended) was crammed full to the gills with "stuff".  Not so
the Orion.

Of course, now that I've gone this far, I feel compelled to pull the top
cover -- and so it goes ... :-)

Grant/NQ5T

Grant Youngman /NQ5T
http://www.globeking.com