[TenTec] Re: Orion Frequency Accuracy

Grant Youngman nq5t at attbi.com
Thu May 29 21:47:09 EDT 2003

> Frequency adjustment was pretty simple,

I started using the technique suggested in an earlier email ..
matching audio tones between USB and LSB.

It occurred to me there's a simpler method.

1. Set the radio to WWV (10, 15, 20 -- the higher the better), and
put the dial exactly on frequency.  Press LCK, so you won't bump it
later.

2. Set mode to either UCW or LCW, and narrow the bandwidth to
zip to eliminate the stuff you don't need to hear.

3. Press and hold SPOT, and just adjust the 45Mhz TCXO to zero
beat the WWV carrier with the spot signal.

The zero beat point is easy to hear, and finding it requires no
gymnastics :-)

Grant/NQ5T