[TenTec]software defined radio, was "audio"

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Sun Nov 9 20:05:55 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/9/03 6:53:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
SteveBaron at StarLinX.com writes:

>  > Now, like the Windoze box I am typing this on, the Orion also has some
>  hardware connections that cannot readily be changed. Being adaptable I
>  choose to work around those "problems."
>  >

On the "software radio" I can see problems already with the PTT thing. If the
hardware is not capable of accommodating change, then there is a bigger
problem. Suppose you make some mods in hardware, now software guys don't know about
it, they make some changes that might affect your mode, then you are screwed.
All radios would have to be the same in order to follow upgrades, unless
change is such that is not affected by software. Sooo, so much for the
flexibility, unless hardware is changed to accommodate other software changes, then we
are sentenced to use the radio we are served.
I appreciate the concept and performance based on the new (Drake R4B?)
concept of RF chain and programmability of certain things, but as a contester I am
deeply disappointed if I can't use PTT in CW mode on the mike connector as I
was used to on all the previous radios. Softwarebility is nice, but what happens
if Orion goes way of Kachina? I hope that TT will stay responsive to its
users, sells lot of radios and is around for a long time.
Now if I can figure out schematics....

Yuri, K3BU