[TenTec] Heil HC-4 and Orion

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 10 07:06:53 EST 2003

	Thanks to all who replied...just a quick followup.
Most who were successfully using both HC-4 and HC-5
were using much higher MIC settings than I had been
using.  I tried adjusting MIC as the new manual suggests
on page 41and found both Heil elements required much
more gain (30-60) than I had been using before. I then
adjusted SP for reasonable compression and found it
was much lower (3-4) than I had been using previously.

	Hopefully Scott W4PA will add suggested settings
for both the HC-4 and HC-5 to the table on page 42 since
these are such popular elements.

				73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  The following settings from Larry W6UB were especially
helpful in getting me on the right track:

"Maybe some help here.  I use the Heil Pro-Set Plus that has both the HC-4
and the HC-5 elements.  W4NL also uses the same Heil with his Orion.  In
several on-going schedules with local and west coast friends, we both found
the HC-5 sounds very good to our listeners with the MIKE gain at 35, SP at
4, and TX Eq at -3dB.  The Orion TX filter BW is set at 2550 Hz and the LF
rolloff at 150 Hz."