[TenTec] Heil HC-4 and Orion

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Mon Nov 10 17:07:08 EST 2003

At 07:06 AM 11/10/03 -0500, you wrote:
>         Thanks to all who replied...just a quick followup.
>Most who were successfully using both HC-4 and HC-5
>were using much higher MIC settings than I had been
>using.  I tried adjusting MIC as the new manual suggests
>on page 41and found both Heil elements required much
>more gain (30-60) than I had been using before. I then
>adjusted SP for reasonable compression and found it
>was much lower (3-4) than I had been using previously.
>
>         Hopefully Scott W4PA will add suggested settings
>for both the HC-4 and HC-5 to the table on page 42 since
>these are such popular elements.
>
>                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Yes - that probably would be a good idea.  And the only reason I didn't
include it in
the current version of the owner's manual was that I didn't have HC-4 and HC-5
equipped microphones to test the Orion with at the time I wrote the manual.

I borrowed an HC-4 equipped headset in preparation for this weekend's SSB
Sweepstakes contest.  The settings for my voice that sound like "contest
communications" audio (but not necessarily "gee, you sound great" audio)
for the Orion are mic gain at 61, TX EQ at zero, SP at 3, TX BW 2700 Hz,
low end rolloff at 150 Hz.  Not too bassy, not too wide, and only enough
DSP RF speech processing to keep the PEP up.

Scott Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec, Inc.

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!