[TenTec] Q: Ant for hotel use, deluxe perhaps: Buddipole; backup IRB

MSTenTecElec eu5q2f402 at sneakemail.com
Tue Nov 11 21:38:10 EST 2003

For travels afar, meaning not driving, I have taken to carrying a Buddipole (BP) with whatever rig. Though Pegasus is great at QTH and club, its usually a FT-817 or K2 for travels. After making many an antenna, I found it quite nice to setup a BP in a room, sometimes on the balcony sometimes just setup above the window. No AT required, change the taps on the BP coils and length of whip to change bands.

Can homebrew it with some parts from W3FF or buy whole thing from www.buddipole.com.

Tripod isn't necessary, take a couple cow ankle straps to lash the BP to a chair, table, or balcony railing. Newer design with even smaller arms is yet more portable !  And PAC-12 antenna would be my second choice, but on road don't prefer to deal with radials or counterpoise wire or AT, just setup and operate (mainly PSK so taps are at low end of 20m by default). Sometimes even bring along a small amp such as the venerable TenTec 405. Not so compact, but still a fine small HF amp !

And when even taking the rig isn't possible, sure is nice to be able to get online and do some hamming on W4MQ or W7DXX and growing number of Internet Remote Bases (IRB) or even Echolink on the accessible HFpack frequencies !

Cheers & 73 de Mark W4CHL
PS - no commercial connection, just a satisfied customer !