[TenTec] SSB audio and 1.366

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Sat Nov 15 13:10:26 EST 2003

> > I can only suggest trying a reset and also maybe trying the
> > back up battery reset.

> That is when you hold in the LCK button for VFO B while turning
> on the radio........

Ok,  great,  found the complete reset instructions at the
rfsquared.com site;  under the "Help My Screen Went
Blank" , or some such heading,  hi.

So,  have done again  a Master Reset and the one using
the LCK button for VFO B.  Have set audio parameters as
follows,  and gotten an excellent audio report from over on
Oahu,  so all must now, I hope,  be well, using Studio 1 mike:

TX EQ = -14 dB
TX Filter BW = 2700
L.F.Rolloff = 270 (with the SP = 2
MIC = 45

Have the prog AGC set after what I found on my RX-340 prog
AGC set up:  Hang = 00.38 Sec; Decay = 68 dB/Sec,  and
I fool around with the Threshold setting to yield the best
apparent S/N with the most quiet background noise.  With
the threshold very low 3uv and lower,  the noise is quite
high,  but weak signals are louder; however,  increasing the
threshold up to 10 to 20 uv,  often lowers the noise a LOT
more than the apparent loudness of the weak signal.

Note that on the RX-340,  you cannot set the threshold,
but can change the AGC attack rate,  a parameter which
is fixed on the Orion;  don't even know the value.

I do not yet really understand the digital/DSP AGC action
and the variable threshold knee setting.  Per Doug Smith's
writings there is no AGC action (gain reduction) applied
until the threshold level is reached in the pass band.  So
howcome the noise is so much less with higher threshold
settings?  The full gain is supposed to be applied up until
the threshold level is reached.  Actually seems to operate
in just the reverse fashion.  Obviously I don't understand
what Doug is writing,  hi.

Anyway,  pleased I have good sounding audio now;  will be
interesting to hear reports this afternoon on the Hawaii Net
when I will be acting as net control.

73,  Jim  KH7M