[TenTec] Orion in contests

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 23:26:32 EST 2003

We have a potential TT customer who posed a reasonable question:  why are
there few eham reviews of the Orion?  He received some responses but no
answers.

One was something like this:  "If you have to ask you won't understand."
(very helpful)
Also:

>>I still want to know why there are so few Orion reviews on eHam.

>the best thing about eham reviews is that they are free, so truly worth
>what
>you paid for them.

Thanks for the eham commentary but not an answer.

>>Each new release brings about another round of bugs.  I am intrigued
>>by the Orion but don't want to be part of a $4,000 experiment.  Who
>>needs the frustration? Is this radio "ready for prime time" or not?

>or you could do as my friend did, buy a high end ic756pro for over $3k.
>then a few months later they fixed the bugs and deficiencies and brought
>out
>the ic756pro2.  for their help my friend and the other field debuggers got:
>a) a free upgrade by flash memory;
>b) a free upgrade by sending the rig in and covering shipping only;
>c) a very reasonably priced upgrade (as converting an omni 6 to one of the
>omni 6 plus steps);
>d) nothing, diddly-squat nothing, absolutely nothing.
>(correct: d)

Deriding Icom and/or the Pro II isn't an answer to his question either.

Folks understandably assume that on the Ten Tec Reflector, there will be
hams capable of giving informed, specific, objective and knowledgeable
answers to people considering purchases of Ten Tec products.  What these
people don't need are flip remarks.  If all you Orion owners want to have
more Orion owners I suggest you take these questions seriously.

I have a question:  How come all you guys rush to load new software releases
as soon as they come out?  I work in the world of software, where everyone
knows that Rule 1 about vendor new versions, is to wait at least a couple of
weeks so the post-shipment bugs can come out and the patches/corrections
identified.  If I owned an Orion, I'd never load an update immediately after
release.
Rob Atkinson
K5UJ