[TenTec] Shootout at OK Corral

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Tue Nov 18 19:47:23 EST 2003

It's clear from the recent discussions on this reflector that we hams are
now in the brave new world of software-driven transceivers and there's no
turning back. In ten years, I suspect, there will be for sale few--if
any--analog rigs with DSP add-ons that are so plentiful today. That's both
good news and bad news.

The good news is that today's DSP chips can do stuff that couldn't be done
a mere three or four years ago by those analog rigs.

The bad news is that transceivers using these chips cannot be built on the
cheap. The chips are expensive, and even more expensive are the software
design teams that make them work.

More bad news: It looks as if the financial challenge of building and
marketing software-driven transceivers for hams has already resulted in
three casualties--Japan Radio, Kenwood and Yaesu. There is no sign that any
of these companies are able or willing to shoulder the heavy investment
required to bring capable mostly-DSP rigs to the U.S. ham market. That
leaves ICOM and Ten-Tec.

Now that Ten-Tec has entered the upper end of the U.S. ham market (which is
actually the lower end of the international transceiver market) with the
Orion, I hope it can come up with a product priced at about half of what
the Orion costs that can compete with the IC-746 PRO, which has a single
sophisticated 32-bit floating-point chip.

 From my vantage, the battle for dominance of the U.S. ham market is
rapidly coming down to just two gunslingers with cartridges left in their
belts--ICOM and Ten-Tec. I don't think Ten-Tec releases sales numbers;
ICOM, as I recall, had sales of $200+ million in 2002.

Above is all IMHO.

73,
John, W3ULS