[TenTec] One complicated radio!

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 14:10:36 EST 2003

Bill,

It took me almost 2 years to figure out why I wasn't
using my DSP based transceiver optimally on CW.

They keep talking about this "learning curve" with
Orion.

I can't help but think that Orion is similar in this
manner to the IC756p. The problem with that radio is
it ships with a miserable set of defaults (for CW),
and each control that you once understood to work a
certain predictable way on an analog radio is just an
input parameter that's used by this complex computer
program called DSP.

The various controls don't affect each other in a
predicatable and linear fashion like they do in an
analog radio.

So, trial end error involving the entire host of
controls seems to be required for every operating
scenario based upon mode, band, time of day and noise
level.

It really makes me wonder if an operator of a DSP
radio
would ever find operation "second nature".

The Corsair II took a little getting used to, but my
OMNI 6+ worked bang well in all conditions with nary a
twist of the RF gain control. Now there's a
transceiver that's really 99% good out of the box.

For the fellow that asked, Orion is just fine for what
it is, maybe the best. Question is if it's your own
type of radio enjoyment.

73,
de WB8YQJ/6