[TenTec] One complicated radio!

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 24 17:46:35 EST 2003

I can't agree that the Orion would not become easier to operate with study
of the manual instructions and practice.

Think back to how strange you felt when switching from a clutch and manual
shift vehicle to complete automatic!   I am sure, if you had that transition
to make; that like myself, you spent a lot of time flailing the air with
your clutch foot!  But now, your left foot stays on the floor and you enjoy
your automatic shift.
(Sports car and 4X4 drivers may still have sticks).   But, how about your
newer TV's, menu driven VCRs, and DVD players?   All had a learning curve.
Surely you eventually learned to set the clock on your VHS recorder?

The Omni VI had a pretty amazing number of knobs but eventually could be
mastered by most who had ever used analog radios.

There are things about the DSP radios that are just "different" from the way
we may have been used to analog and yaecomwood radios.   Just study and
practice and it will come more easily.   Having a "cheat sheet" is almost a
necessity with the new crop of hand held and mobile radios from yaecomwood.
Some of those have so many multipurpose knobs and so few knobs you may not
be able to figure out how to turn the power off.
-Stuart
K5KVH