[TenTec] One complicated radio!

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Mon Nov 24 20:00:59 EST 2003

My thanks to the people who responded both privately and on this reflector
to my not-quite-facetious comments this a.m. regarding the Orion's seeming
complexity.

I can easily differentiate myself from Bill, W4ZV, in one clarion respect:
it appears from his e-mail address he's an MIT alum. Your humble
correspondent spent an unproductive freshman semester in Cambridge long ago
and took advantage of the semester break to high tail it out of
there--those folks, such as Bill, no doubt, were WAY too smart for me!

So what comes easily to Bill and such (or Doug Smith or Scott Robbins)
after a week or so with the Orion chances are might not become clear to
me--ever.

Also, I think comparing the K-2 with any other rig is not productive
because the K-2 beyond its QRP foundation has got to be an acquired taste,
pricey at that if you want 100 watts, SSB, DSP, 6 & 2 meters, etc. Granted
it's a good performer. It may be that the Orion similarly is an acquired
taste as well. Hey, I drive a 12-year-old Jeep Cherokee with a stick shift,
so you can get a sense of where I'm coming from.

Great comments, great reflector.

73,
John, W3ULS