[TenTec] Pegasus - digital

J. D. Beischel duffyb01 at fuse.net
Tue Nov 25 12:44:52 EST 2003

Mark and John,

I caution you and others to not take the audio isolation too lightly.  The
importance is not to the audio level, the importance is keeping one piece of
equipment from damaging another.  While it is rare, an electrical "spike"
from one unit can damage the other unit.  By isolating the audio between
systems, you significantly reduce the chance of the computer damaging the
radio or the radio damaging the computer.  I personally know of an instance
where this happened and have heard from other hams on the Internet of it
happening to them.  Not a high risk, but a risk none the less.

I also had a ground loop like you Mark with the Jupiter, but using the
interface eliminated the problem (I had everything grounded).

Also, unlike Buck, Donner http://home.att.net/~n8st/ seems to have a higher
customer satisfaction rating on eBay and Donner's interfaces are a bit less
expensive.

Duffy