[TenTec] Pegasus - digital

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 12:44:17 EST 2003

I too would be reluctant to skip the isolation
provided by an interface. And for the interface that
you do use make sure that it has an isolated PTT as
well. The interface should not allow any DC or direct
wire connection between the PC and the radio of any
kind. Additionally I would not use VOX even though it
can be made to work, it's just way too easy to
inadvertently send PC sounds out over the air.

Keep in mind with the Pegasus there is already a
ground connection to the computer via the RS232 cable
that controls it. So by skipping the DC/low frequency
AC isolation that an interface provides for the
mic/audio/PTT leads there will be a greater risk
having ground loop issues since you will be
effectively adding a second "ground". And finally I do
not otherwise ground the computer to any of my radio
gear in any way, again for the same reason, I do not
want two separate ground (or any other direct wire
coupled) paths between the radio and PC.

I have been having perfectly fine success with the
older Buxcom interface kit, yes it's pretty ugly and
crude looking, but then it lives under my operating
desk so I never look at it anyhow. I also use a RJ45
patch panel to quickly switch the interface between
the various Pegs I use. The patch panel also helps me
preserves the total isolation between the PC and the
radios and also between the radios themselves. And
finally I only use the Peg's accessory connector for
connecting to the PC, I do not use the mic or
headphone jacks for anything but mics and headphones.

The good news is that I have found the Pegasus to be a
very easy radio to setup and use with the myriad of
sound card programs that are out there. And once you
have it interfaced physically you will find that most
of the programs that you use with it are all very
similar in the way that they are configured for
mic/audio levels and PTT control.

Duane
N9DG